Boston Almshouse records
This collection contains one folder of records that appear to be receipts for people being admitted to the almshouse, a register of admitted persons from 1808, and a tax record for a W. Tileston Clark from the year 1782. The folder also contains a note that these papers were found in the corner of the attic of the Suffolk Court House in January of 1885.
- 1782, 1803-1814
Biographical / Historical
The first almshouse in Boston dates back to 1662. After the original building burnt down in 1682, the citizens of Boston voted to rebuild and, in 1722, the Boston Almshouse opened on Beacon Street. The institution was placed under the care of the Overseers of the Poor, until 1823, when the responsibilites of the Overseers of the Poor were revised and limited to "out-door relief" or relief provided outside of public institutions.
- Boston Almshouse records
- Kayla Skillin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard