City Council Quarantine Committee reports from keeper of Rainsford Island
Scope and Contents note
Rainsford Island, in Boston Harbor, was used as a quarantine facility beginning in 1737. This collection of reports by Island Keeper Moses L. Hobart, includes about 40 items. They cover the period from January 9, 1822 through November 30, 1822.
In the winter season the reports have to do with such maintenance concerns as painting and repairs. By the end of May, the reports concern the arrival of sailing ships (mostly brigs, but also schooners and sloops). The name and captain of each is recorded along with the port of embarkation, number of days in passage, list of cargo and to whom it is consigned. Any sicknesses or deaths are noted, and passengers are listed.
- 1822 January-November
- Boston (Mass.). City Council. Quarantine Committee (Organization)
0.01 Cubic feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- Quarantine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rainsford Island (Mass.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quarantine Committee: Rainsford Island keeper's reports
- Diane Pierce-Williams
- March 24, 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States