Boston Redevelopment Authority photographs
Scope and Contents
Photographs and negatives documenting urban renewal projects, circa 1953-1985. Includes photographs from the West End, Government Center, South Cove, Central Business District, Charlestown and other urban renewal projects. Photographs and negatives are in process and will be added to catalog record when complete.
- Other: circa 1953-1985
- Boston Redevelopment Authority (Organization)
The Boston Redevelopment Authority, established in accordance with General Laws, Chapter 121B, has the sole responsibility for urban renewal activities in the City of Boston. The Authority was organized in September, 1957 and received its certificate of organization from the Secretary of the Commonwealth on October 4, 1957. Chapter 652 of the Acts of 1960 abolished the City Planning Board and transferred its powers to the BRA. The functions, duties, and responsibilities for general city planning and development were merged into one agency. In 1993, Mayor Thomas M. Menino merged the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Economic Development and Industrial Corporation into a single citywide development agency.
21 Cubic feet
Language of Materials
- Community development, Urban Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban renewal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States