Skip to main content

Street Lighting Division records

 Series
Identifier: 5030.001

Scope and Contents

Records of the Street Lighting Division relating to urban renewal projects, gas lamps and crime.

Dates

  • circa 1952-1978

Creator

Historical note

The Lamp Department was first legalized by statute on June 29, 1773. The office of Superintendent of Lamps had existed since the year 1843, though it was first formerly established by ordinance on October 26, 1869. The department was separated from that of the Police in 1854. Chapter 3 of the Ordinances of 1908, approved by the Mayor on 6 April 1908, consolidated the Bridge, Sanitary, Sewer and Street Cleaning and Watering Departments, created by Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of the Ordinances of 1906 and the Lamp Department, as created by Chapter 22 of the Revised Ordinances of 1898, with the Street Department, which was placed under the charge of the Superintendent of Streets. In the Public Works Department, responsibility for street lighting falls under the Highway Division.

Extent

1 Cubic feet

Language of Materials

English

  • Lamps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
  • Street lighting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)