Engineering Department scrapbook and badge
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents
Scrapbook of H.G. Botsford containing photographs documenting work with the Engineering Department of the City of Boston, newspaper clippings, and ephemera. Also includes City of Boston Engineering Department badge.
- circa 1890-1910
The Office of City Engineer was established by ordinance passed on October 31, 1850. By Chapter 449 of the Acts of 1895, the Surveying Department and the Office of City Surveyor was abolished and the duties transferred to the Engineering Department and the Office of City Engineer. By Chapter 9 of the Ordinances of 1910, the power and duties of the Engineering Department were absorbed by the newly created Public Works Department. A Survey Division of the Public Works Department was established May 1, 1954, under Chapter 2 of the Ordinances of 1954, Section 56, which amended Section 33 of Chapter 27 of the Revised Ordinances of 1947. The division performed certain engineering services for the divisions of the Public Works Department and other City departments. It also performed administrative and engineering services required by the Public Improvement Commission. On March 15-16, 1960, the functions and employees of the Bridge, Highway, Water, and Sewer Divisions engaged in engineering design were transferred to the Survey Division. The Survey Division was renamed the Engineering Division in 1961.
0.5 Cubic feet (1 volume and 1 object)
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script