Engineering Department correspondence
Scope and Contents
Five outgoing letter-copy volumes of Engineering Department - Survey Division and Street Laying-Out Department - Engineering Division correspondence. Includes volumes from 1904-1926 and 1932-1941.
- 1904-1941 with gaps
- Boston (Mass.). Engineering Department (Organization)
- Boston (Mass.). Street Laying-Out Department (Organization)
The Office of City Engineer was established by ordinance passed on October 31, 1850. By Chapter 449 of the Acts of 1895, the Surveying Department and the Office of City Surveyor was abolished and the duties transferred to the Engineering Department and the Office of City Engineer. By Chapter 9 of the Ordinances of 1910, the power and duties of the Engineering Department were absorbed by the newly created Public Works Department. A Survey Division of the Public Works Department was established May 1, 1954, under Chapter 2 of the Ordinances of 1954, Section 56, which amended Section 33 of Chapter 27 of the Revised Ordinances of 1947. The division performed certain engineering services for the divisions of the Public Works Department and other City departments. It also performed administrative and engineering services required by the Public Improvement Commission. On March 15-16, 1960, the functions and employees of the Bridge, Highway, Water, and Sewer Divisions engaged in engineering design were transferred to the Survey Division. The Survey Division was renamed the Engineering Division in 1961.
Language of Materials
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Streets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States