Boston Public Library annual reports and publications
Series — Publications: PB 016
Scope and Contents
Includes annual reports of the Library Department for 1967 and 1985-1986, statistical reports from 1954 and 1957, proceedings of the dedication of the Library building in 1858, a history of the Library from 1911, works published by the Library and other miscellaneous publications. Annual reports can also be found in the City Documents series.
- Boston Public Library (Organization)
Chapter 52 of the Acts of 1848 authorized the City of Boston to establish a public library. The first trustees were appointed under an ordinance passed October 14, 1852. The trustees of the Public Library, five in number, are appointed by the Mayor for a term of five years. The trustees serve without compensation. The original library building on Boylston Street was opened to the public in September of 1858 and closed in January of 1895. The Central Library building (McKim Building) in Copley Square first opened on March 11, 1895. The addition to the Central Library (Johnson Building) opened on December 12, 1972. The Library is maintained by an annual appropriation made to the Trustees by the City Government. The Boston Public Library operates 24 branch libraries.