Skip to main content

Stable petitions

 Series
Identifier: 7010.004

Scope and Contents

Chapter 89 of the Acts of 1889, an "Act Relating to the Use of Buildings in the City of Boston for Stables", transferred the power to regulate stables from the Board of Aldermen to the Board of Health. Includes petitions numbered 1-6696 to occupy stables presented to the Board of Health.

Dates

  • 1889-1952
  • Majority of material found within Bulk, 1889-1936

Creator

Historical note

The first Board of Health in Boston was established in 1799, under the special statute of February 13, 1799. This Board of Health was abolished by the first city charter. From 1822-1873, the functions of the Board were exercised through the City Council. The last Board of Health was established by ordinance passed December 2, 1872. By Chapter 1 of the Ordinances of 1914, 2nd series, the Health Department was placed in charge of one executive, the Health Commissioner, who appointed the deputy commissioners. Chapter 1 of the Ordinances of 1927 abolished the Boston Sanatorium Department and placed the Tuberculosis Hospital at Mattapan under the jurisdiction of the Trustees of the Boston City Hospital; all other powers and duties, as well as the Out-Patient Department, were transferred to the Health Commissioner. Chapter 656 of the Acts of 1965, accepted January 6, 1966, created the Health and Hospitals Department, merging the former Health Department and former Hospital Department.

Extent

13.0 Cubic feet (13 record cartons)

Language of Materials

English

Title
7010.004
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)