Skip to main content

City Council Joint Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market records

Identifier: 0140.010

Scope and Contents note

The records of the Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market span the years 1823-1828 with the bulk of the material from 1824-1826. The collection is divided into three series: Records, Proceedings, and Account Book.

The records of the Committee were previously stored in bundles. The titles of the groups of records, taken from the wrappers of the bundles, were retained and used at the subseries level. The Records series is broken down into 9 subseries. Loose material was filed chronologically where appropriate. The records include correspondence, reports, certificates of stock, proposals, agreements, notes and applications relating to the purchase of estates and construction of the market. Also included are applications for rental of the new stalls. One item of significance is the letter requesting employment of 1824 from Alexander Parris, the architect of Faneuil Hall Market.

The Proceedings of the committee consist of two volumes recorded by Mayor Josiah Quincy which cover the period 9 March 1824 to 13 November 1826. The proceedings record the matters discussed and decided at each meeting of the committee.

The Account book, 24 June 1824 to 13 November 1826, details the funds under the control of the committee used for purchasing estates and for construction costs.


  • 1823-1828 (bulk, 1824-1826)


Historical note

Mayor Josiah Quincy, in the first month of his administration, addressed the inadequate conditions of the space for stalls in the market at Faneuil Hall. Upon consultation with the Board of Aldermen, he decided to improve the conditions. A joint committee of the City Council with Mayor Quincy as chairman was established to investigate the matter. The Committee obtained from the Legislature on 21 February 1824 an “act authorizing the extension of Faneuil Hall Market in Boston.” On 5 March 1824, the City Council passed five resolutions regarding the plans for the market, the fifth authorizing the Committee to carry them into effect. On 9 March 1824, the City Council appointed a committee on the extension of Faneuil Hall Market and the Committee held its first meeting on 16 March 1824. The committee appointed was responsible for the purchase of estates and for the funds from the sales of purchased estates, rents and other incidentals to cover the costs of the construction of the new market. The Mayor approved the plan of the market, as built, on 5 October 1824. The cornerstone of the new market was laid on 27 April 1825. Construction was completed in 1826 and the new market house opened on 26 August 1826.


0.5 Cubic feet (2 document cases)

Language of Materials


Related Archival Materials note

Materials filed in the City Council Proceedings - Docket documents (Collection #0100.001)

Materials filed with the Docket Documents of the Mayor and Board of Aldermen:

  1. (1826-0110-A1) Mayor’s answer to Isaac Waters, 27 April 1826
  2. (1826-0110-A2) Report on Greenough’s petition to be permitted to sell land near Merchants Row, 1 March 1826
  3. (1826-0110-A3) Curtis letter on his charges, 4 March 1826
  4. (1826-0110-A4) Mayor’s letter to Harris Warden of State Prison, 4 March 1826
  5. (1826-0110-A5) Isaac Waters answer to the Mayor, 29 April 1826
  6. (1826-0110-A6) Isaac Waters letter, 27 April 1826
  7. (1826-0110-A7) Report of the Committee on the final settlement with D. Greenough for the land sold to him by the City, 19 May 1826
  8. (1826-0110-A8) Mayor’s letter to D. W. Child, 1 May 1826
  9. (1826-0110-A9) D. W. Child’s letter asking instructions, 15 June 1826
  10. (1826-0110-A10) D. W. Child wishes information relative to employ of watchman, 8 July 1826
  11. (1826-0110-A11) Report of sub committee for appraising the stalls, 1 August 1826
  12. (1826-0110-A12) Mayor’s letter on leasing of stalls, 2 August 1826
  13. (1826-0110-A13) Advertisement put up in new market house specifying terms and prices, 3 August 1826
  14. (1826-0110-A14) Report of committee for appraising cellars, 14 August 1826
  15. (1826-0110-A15) Report of a committee on applications for the stalls, 14 August 1826
  16. (1826-0110-A16) Report of committee appraising cellars under new market, 15 August 1826
  17. (1826-0110-A17) Stall holders in old vegetable market reservations, 19 August 1826
  18. (1826-0110-A18) Waters letter, 10 October 1826
  19. (1826-0110-A19) Receipt, 28 November 1826
  20. (1826-0110-A20) Alexander Parris letter, 26 October 1826
  21. (1826-0110-A21) Mayor’s letter to Joseph M. Dorr, 4 November 1826
  22. (1826-0110-A22) D. W. Childs letter stating the closing of all bills, 9 November 1826
  23. (1826-0110-A23) Alexander Parris letter, 9 November 1826
Guide to the City Council Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market records
Kristen Swett
October 24, 2001
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository

201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1194 (Fax)