Skip to main content

Bridge history cards

 Series
Identifier: 5010.003

Scope and Contents note

Constitutes a historical summary of each structure at the time compiled, with the earliest and latest construction work being 1839-1922. Composed on 5"x8" cards and alphabetically arranged by geographic name, usually a street or water body associated with the structure. Base information was derived from research done in the City Documents and City Council Minutes, and annotated as alterations and repairs were made.

Dates

  • circa 1900-1922

Creator

Historical note

The ordinance creating the Public Works Department took effect February 1, 1911. The Bridge and Ferry Division was one of three divisions established within the Public Works Department. The Division Engineer for the Bridge and Ferry Division had charge of the design, construction and maintenance of the highway bridges within the limits of the City, whether constructed over navigable waters or railroads, also of the care and maintenance of the ferries operated by the City. Work pertaining to the abolishment of grade crossings was attended to by this division, as well as special engineering work for other City departments.

Extent

3.0 Cubic feet (3 record cartons)

Language of Materials

English

  • Bridges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Title
5010.003
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)