Parks Department plans
Boston Parks Department Engineering Division plans. Includes plans produced for Boston Common, Fens, Airport, Commonwealth Avenue, Franklin Park, Copley Square and other projects.
- circa 1890-1975
- Boston (Mass.). Parks and Recreation Department (Organization)
undetermined Cubic feet
Power to establish parks in the City of Boston was granted by the Commonwealth on May 6, 1875, subject to acceptance by the people. This act was accepted by a vote of the citizens on June 9, 1875. The first Board of Park Commissioners was appointed on July 8, 1875 and confirmed on July 15, 1875. The Board consisted of three members who served without compensation. As thus constituted, the department continued up to 1913, when by the provisions of Chapter 10, Ordinances of 1912, which went into effect in March of 1913, it was merged with the Public Grounds, Bath and Music Departments, under the name of Park and Recreation Department. The chairman of the Board of Commissioners became a salaried official and was required to devote his entire time to the work, likewise the Deputy Commissioner. In 1920, the Cemetery Department was merged with the Park Department, the latter title being substituted for Park and Recreation Department. On May 1, 1954, the department became the Parks and Recreation Department. The four Associate Commissioners serve without compensation.
- Guide to the Parks and Recreation Department plans 4400.004