Deeds to city property, etc.
Scope and Contents note
This collection includes records of deeds of property to the City of Boston, etc. that were filed with the City Auditor's Office. The types of instruments included are street deeds, quitclaim deeds, agreements, easements, partial releases of mortgages, release of damages, warranty deeds, etc. The records relate primarily to properties taken or purchased for school, police and fire purposes, laying out and widening streets, and other city departments and functions. The collection includes deeds, etc. from 1823-1941 and index volumes to deeds, etc. for the years 1803-1869 January, 1874-1877, 1887-1929 and 1945-1968.
- Majority of material found within Bulk, 1823-1938
- Boston (Mass.). Auditing Department (Organization)
The office of Auditor was established by ordinance passed on August 2, 1824. The office of Deputy City Auditor was established by ordinance passed on July 11, 1934. Regular annual reports of receipts and expenditures have been published by the Auditor since 1825. These reports show the annual receipts and expenditures of the City and County, the debt and the public property.
The Auditing Department provides controllership and audit functions for the City and its departments and agencies. The Department implements fiscal controls over departmental spending, prepares detailed departmental expenditure reports, prepares the City’s annual financial statements and conducts on-site internal audits and reviews of departments and agencies.
23.0 Cubic feet (22 record cartons, 1 document case and 6 volumes)
Language of Materials
- Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indexes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land titles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public lands Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Streets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Deeds to City Property, etc.
- Kristen Swett
- Language of description
- Script of description