8700. Public Welfare Department
The Overseers of the Poor in the Town of Boston, a corporation established in 1772 by act of the Legislature, were succeeded in 1864 by the corporation called “Overseers of the Poor in the City of Boston. In 1921, the name of the corporation was changed to Overseers of the Public Welfare. In 1954, the official name of the department was changed to the Welfare Department. The Overseers of the Public Welfare are also incorporated as a Board of Trustees of John Boylston’s and other charitable funds. The Welfare Department was abolished as a municipal agency by Chapter 658 of the Acts of 1967; but the Overseers of the Public Welfare as a corporation continues to function as custodian of the permanent charity funds, the annual income from which is distributed in accordance with the terms of the donations.
Found in 1 Collection or Record: