5100. Transportation Department
The Boston Traffic Commission was established by Chapter 263 of the Acts of 1929. The Commission consisted of a commissioner and four associate commissioners. The Police Commissioner, Commissioner of Public Works, Chairman of the Parks Commissioners, and the chairman of the Board of Street Commissioners served as the associate commissioners, ex officiis. The Commissioners had exclusive authority to adopt, amend, alter and repeal rules and regulations relative to vehicular street traffic, and to the movement, stopping or standing of vehicles on, and their exclusion from, all or any streets, ways, highways, roads and parkways, under the control of the city. The Commission had the power to erect, make and maintain, or cause to be erected, made and maintained, traffic signs, signals, markings and other devices for the control of such traffic in the city and for informing and warning the public as to the rules and regulations adopted by the commission. The Acts of 1957 chapter 253 and Acts of 1962 chapter 338 reorganized the Boston Traffic Commission. Acts of 1962 chapter 338 broadened the powers of the Commission to include offstreet parking. Ordinance of 1962 chapter 9 changed the name of the Boston Traffic Commission to Traffic and Parking Commission and the name of Traffic Department to Traffic and Parking Department. The powers and duties of the Traffic and Parking Commission, the Traffic and Parking Commissioner, and the Traffic and Parking Department were assumed by the Transportation Commission, the Transportation Commissioner and the Transportation Department respectively under the provisions of section 20 of Chapter 608 of the Acts of 1986. The mission of the Boston Transportation Department is to promote public safety, manage the city's transportation network, and enhance the quality of life for residents of city neighborhoods. Accomplishment of the mission is ensured through the use of planning coordinated engineering, education and enforcement.