4700. Election Department
The Board of Registrars of Voters was appointed in May of 1874 and was succeeded July 1, 1895 by the Board of Election Commissioners. This department exercises all the powers and duties formerly conferred upon the Board of Registrars of Voters (including the preparation of the jury list), except the power and duty of giving notice of elections and fixing the days and hours for holding the same. The Board also exercises all the powers and duties formerly conferred upon the City Clerk and other officers by chapter 504 of the Acts of 1894. One Election Commissioner is appointed by the Mayor each year, term beginning on the 1st of April. The two leading political parties must be equally represented on the Board and the Chairman is designated annually by the Mayor.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents Includes copies of annual reports for the years 1924, 1926-1928, 1930-1932, 1934-1935, 1937, 1939-1953, 1956, 1960, 1963, 1969-1981, 1991; "Ordinance Defining New Boundaries of Wards", 1875; "Lists of Streets, Avenues, Courts, Places, etc.", 1880 and 1896; "Act to Provide for Printing and Distributing Ballots at the Public Expense and to Regulate Voting...Being the So-called Australian Ballot Law", 1889; "Report of Special Committee on New Division of Wards into Voting Precincts", 1889; "List...