7000/7020. Hospital Department
Record Group Term
The Boston City Hospital was opened June 1, 1864. The hospital was established for the reception of those in need of temporary relief during illness or from injuries. The Trustees were incorporated by Chapter 174 of the Acts of 1880, and Chapter 91 of the Acts of 1893, as The Boston City Hospital. The Trustees also had charge of the South Department for infectious diseases, the Convalescent Home in Dorchester and the Relief Stations. The Relief Stations were closed to patients on March 15, 1938. The East Boston Relief Station was reopened on a 24 hour basis on October 15, 1945. The Convalescent Home in Dorchester closed in March of 1932. By Ordinance of 1954, the Institutions Department was abolished and the powers and duties in relation to Long Island Hospital were transferred to the Hospital Department. Chapter 656 of the Acts of 1965, accepted January 6, 1966, created the Health and Hospitals Department, merging the former Health Department and former Hospital Department.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Boston City Hospital collection
Scope and Contents This collection documents the history of the Boston City Hospital from 1864-1996. Parts of this collection were originally in the custody of the Boston City Hospital Library. The collection includes Board of Trustees minutes and records; published reports of the hospital; administrative files of the hospital and of the library; financial records of the hospital; historical files and news clippings compiled by the library over time; holdings of the library including medical texts dating...
Dates: circa 1790-1996 (bulk, 1864-1996)
Long Island Hospital records
Dates: circa 1890-1991
Found in: City of Boston Archives / Long Island Hospital records
Long Island Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association records