Boston (Mass.). Board of Directors for Public Institutions
With the establishment of the House of Industry in 1823, the responsibilities of the Overseers of the Poor were limited to “out-door relief” or relief provided outside of public institutions. The Directors of the House of Industry were responsible for “in-door relief” or support in the public institution. Prior to 1857, the House of Industry and House of Reformation were under the charge of the Directors of the House of Industry. The House of Correction was under the charge of the Overseers of the House of Correction.
From 1857 to 1885, the public institutions were in charge of a Board of Directors, twelve in number; from 1885 to 1889, in charge of a Board, consisting of nine members; from 1889 to 1895, in charge of the Board of Commissioners of Public Institutions, three in number. By Chapter 449 of the Acts of 1895, the institutions were placed under the charge of one commissioner, known as the Institutions Commissioner.
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Includes copies of annual reports of the Board of Directors of Public Institutions, 1857-1886 and 1888; Commissioner of Public Institutions, 1890-1891, 1893-1894, 1897, and 1928; Institutions Registration Department, 1901, 1913-1915; and one bound volume of City Documents relating to the Lunatic Hospital, Inspectors of Prisons, Directors of Public Institutions and Rules and Regulations, 1863-1869. Annual reports can also be found in the City Documents series.
Miscellaneous records documenting payroll for various departments. Includes Fire Department, 1829-1868 with gaps; Schools, 1833-1870 with gaps; Police, 1869-1870; Water Works, 1869-1870; Chestnut Hill Reservoir, 1868-1869; Lamps, 1869-1870; Paving, 1869-1870; Health, 1868-1869, Auditing, 1875-1885; Welfare, 1920-1923; and Institutions, 1922-1923.