Boston (Mass.). Overseers of the Poor
The Overseers of the Poor in the Town of Boston, a corporation established in 1772 by act of the Legislature, were succeeded in 1864 by the corporation called “Overseers of the Poor in the City of Boston. In 1921, the name of the corporation was changed to Overseers of the Public Welfare. In 1954, the official name of the department was changed to the Welfare Department. The Overseers of the Public Welfare are also incorporated as a Board of Trustees of John Boylston’s and other charitable funds.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Pamphlet published in 1823 by the Overseers of the Poor, providing their account of the controversy between the Overseers and the City Council pertaining to the authority over the Almshouse and the new House of Industry and two reports to the City Council from 1823 and 1825.
Includes "Annual Report of the Overseers of the Poor" for 1891; "Annual Report of the Overseers of the Public Welfare" for 1952 and 1964. Annual reports can also be found in the City Documents series.