Boston (Mass.). City Council. Committee on Extension of Faneuil Hall Market
Mayor Josiah Quincy, in the first month of his administration, addressed the inadequate conditions of the space for stalls in the market at Faneuil Hall. Upon consultation with the Board of Aldermen, he decided to improve the conditions. A joint committee of the City Council with Mayor Quincy as chairman was established to investigate the matter. The Committee obtained from the Legislature on 21 February 1824 an “act authorizing the extension of Faneuil Hall Market in Boston.” On 5 March 1824, the City Council passed five resolutions regarding the plans for the market, the fifth authorizing the Committee to carry them into effect. On 9 March 1824, the City Council appointed a committee on the extension of Faneuil Hall Market and the Committee held its first meeting on 16 March 1824. The committee appointed was responsible for the purchase of estates and for the funds from the sales of purchased estates, rents and other incidentals to cover the costs of the construction of the new market. The Mayor approved the plan of the market, as built, on 5 October 1824. The cornerstone of the new market was laid on 27 April 1825. Construction was completed in 1826 and the new market house opened on 26 August 1826.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents note The records of the Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market span the years 1823-1828 with the bulk of the material from 1824-1826. The collection is divided into three series: Records, Proceedings, and Account Book. The records of the Committee were previously stored in bundles. The titles of the groups of records, taken from the wrappers of the bundles, were retained and used at the subseries level. The Records series is broken down into 9 subseries. Loose material was...