Skip to main content

Boston (Mass.). Engineering Department

 Organization

Historical note

The Office of City Engineer was established by ordinance passed on October 31, 1850. By Chapter 449 of the Acts of 1895, the Surveying Department and the Office of City Surveyor was abolished and the duties transferred to the Engineering Department and the Office of City Engineer. By Chapter 9 of the Ordinances of 1910, the power and duties of the Engineering Department were absorbed by the newly created Public Works Department. A Survey Division of the Public Works Department was established May 1, 1954, under Chapter 2 of the Ordinances of 1954, Section 56, which amended Section 33 of Chapter 27 of the Revised Ordinances of 1947. The division performed certain engineering services for the divisions of the Public Works Department and other City departments. It also performed administrative and engineering services required by the Public Improvement Commission. On March 15-16, 1960, the functions and employees of the Bridge, Highway, Water, and Sewer Divisions engaged in engineering design were transferred to the Survey Division. The Survey Division was renamed the Engineering Division in 1961.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Architectural Division correspondence

 Series — Box: 1
Identifier: 4321.001
Scope and Contents

Three letter-copy volumes of outgoing correspondence of the Engineering Department - Architectural Division and the Public Buildings Department.

Dates: 1897 November 3-1901 January 11

Index to plans

 Item
Identifier: 4321.002
Scope and Contents

Obsolete index to plans of city buildings stored in the basement of the Probate Building (Architectural Division store room).

Dates: undated