The first Board of Health in Boston was established in 1799, under the special statute of February 13, 1799. This Board of Health was abolished by the first city charter. From 1822-1873, the functions of the Board were exercised through the City Council. The last Board of Health was established by ordinance passed December 2, 1872. By Chapter 1 of the Ordinances of 1914, 2nd series, the Health Department was placed in charge of one executive, the Health Commissioner, who appointed the deputy commissioners. Chapter 1 of the Ordinances of 1927 abolished the Boston Sanatorium Department and placed the Tuberculosis Hospital at Mattapan under the jurisdiction of the Trustees of the Boston City Hospital; all other powers and duties, as well as the Out-Patient Department, were transferred to the Health Commissioner. Chapter 656 of the Acts of 1965, accepted January 6, 1966, created the Health and Hospitals Department, merging the former Health Department and former Hospital Department.