The Architectural Division was detached, by order of the Mayor, from the Public Buildings Department on January 13, 1898, and placed under the Engineering Department. The work of the division was that of a consulting or expert force. The division could be called upon by any department for technical advice on matters relating to building, heating or ventilating. Plans or specifications for work to be done, in certain cases, by the Repairs Division of the Public Buildings Department were prepared by this division, which was also charged with a general supervision of work done by the Repairs Division of the Buildings Department. The Architectural Division was detached by order of Mayor Hart, from the Engineering Department, May 11, 1900, and placed under the Public Buildings Department.