Public Baths were first established in Boston in 1866 under the control of a Joint Committee of the City Council. Chapter 214 of the Acts of 1874, "An act to authorized cities and towns to erect and maintain public baths and wash-houses," was accepted by the City Council on January 2, 1875. By an ordinance passed December 27, 1879, the Committee on Bathing was discontinued and the baths were put in the care of the Board of Health. A new city department of Public Baths was created by ordinance passed in 1898. Chapter 10 of the Ordinances of 1912 merged the Park Department with the Public Grounds, Bath and Music Departments, under the name of Park and Recreation Department.