Skip to main content

Appointment/Reinstatement Forms

 Series
Identifier: 0500.015
This series consists of loose leaf binders housing Appointment/Reinstatement forms used for documenting the appointments and/or reinstatements of Boston Fire Department staff. The documents include appointments after certification to become a fire fighter, emergency appointments, provisional appointments, reinstatements of employment following leaves of absence due to injury, illness, maternity and suspensions. Some retirement benefit requests forms are also included. In addition, 2 binders house Longevity Awards forms, which are departmental communications requesting anniversary, or years of services payments submitted by the Fire Commissioner to the Supervisor of Personnel.

Dates

  • 1979-1994

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Consult with Archivist.

Extent

3.0 Cubic feet (Record Cartons)

Historical note

The origins of the Boston Fire Department date back to 1678 with the establishment of the first engine company and the receipt of the first hand fire engine in North America. The Board of Fire Wards was established on February 1, 1711. Prominent men were chosen as Fire Wards and were responsible for the operation and maintenance of the equipment assigned to their ward. Chapter 52 of the Acts of 1825, "An Act Establishing a Fire Department in the City of Boston and an Ordinance for the preventing and extinguishing of fires and establishing a fire department" went into full operation in April of 1826. With this legislation, the Board of Fire Wards was dissolved. All records and property belonging to the city were transferred to the Chief Engineer in May of 1826.

By the reorganization in 1837, the Fire Department changed from a partially volunteer to a paid fire department. On June 16, 1851, the City Council passed an order to erect a system of telegraphic fire alarms and the first regular alarm on the new system was received on April 29, 1852. On January 1, 1859, two new steam engines were put in service replacing two hand engines. On October 24, 1873, the City Council passed an ordinance creating a Board of Fire Commissioners to oversee the department. Section 9 of Chapter 449 of the Acts of 1895, an act to amend the City Charter, abolished the Board of Fire Commissioners and placed the Department under the charge of one Fire Commissioner. The Chief Engineer serves as the Executive Officer of the Commissioner and directs the work of the members of the Department.

Repository Details

Part of the Boston City Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)