Suffolk School for Boys lantern slides
Series — Box: 1
Collection of lantern slides of views of buildings and inmates of the Suffolk School for Boys (House of Reformation) on Rainsford Island.
- circa 1910-1920
- Conlin, Frank B. (Photographer, Person)
0.1 Cubic feet (36 slides)
The House of Reformation was established by an act passed by the Massachusetts Legislature on March 4, 1826 for the employment and reformation of juvenile offenders. It was set up as an experiment in the building at South Boston which was initially constructed for the House of Correction. In 1833, the City Council ordered the removal of the House of Reformation at South Boston to Governor’s Island. On December 16, 1833, the City Council ordered the House of Reformation be moved back to South Boston. In 1836, a separate building was constructed for the House of Reformation in the vicinity of the House of Correction at South Boston. The House of Reformation was under the control of the Directors of the House of Industry until 1833 when a separate Board was chosen. By ordinance passed 28 Jun 1841, the Directors of the House of Industry appointed the Directors of the House of Reformation. The House of Reformation was removed to Deer Island in July of 1858. The House of Reformation was transferred to Rainsford Island in 1895. By Chapter 150 of the Acts of 1906, the name of the House of Reformation was changed to the Suffolk School for Boys. The school was discontinued in 1920.
- Suffolk School for Boys, Rainsford Island lantern slides