Skip to main content

Boston Community Centers records

 Collection
Identifier: 6010.001
Records of the Community Centers Programs formerly called the Boston Community Schools Program. Includes administrative files, board minutes, committee files, financial records, and work plans. This collection is unprocessed.

Dates

  • 1972-1984

Creator

Extent

39.0 Cubic feet (39 record cartons)

Biographical / Historical

The Boston Community Centers began as the Boston Community Schools Program. Chapter 18 of the Ordinances of 1972 established the Community Schools Program under the Public Facilities Department. Mayor Kevin H. White designated all new schools built in the City of Boston to be Community Schools. Services and programs provided in each school were determined by a group of locally selected neighborhood residents known as the Community School Council. The Council was responsible for allocating its budget, assessing the needs of its own neighborhood and responding to those needs with programs. Representatives from each Council met monthly to discuss overall policy and fiscal arrangements and this body of representatives was known as the Boston Community School Board.

Repository Details

Part of the Boston City Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)