The Bay State Road/Back Bay West area was created during the 19th century, as part of the large-scale land reclamation and infilling project that also created the Back Bay. The first blocks of the Bay State Road area were laid out in 1889, with the majority of development occurring between 1895 and 1899.
In 1900, the Bay State Road Improvement Society (an organization of neighborhood property owners) agreed to prohibit commercial and industrial uses of their land for a period of fifty years. As a result, all of the structures built in the Bay State Road/Back Bay West area were private residences until 1950. Yet despite the predominantly residential character of the area, it has also been home to prominent hotels and two renowned medical clinics.
The Bay State Road/Back Bay West area contains several prime examples of various architectural revival styles popular during the late 19th century. The five major revival styles represented in the district are Classical Revival, Renaissance Revival, Georgian Revival, Federal Revival, and Tudor Revival. It is the strength of the varying revival styles that characterizes the Bay State Road/Back Bay West area.
The Bay State Road/Back Bay West Architectural Conservation District was designated in 1979.