Skip to main content

Board of Superintendents circulars

 Series
Identifier: 0415.002
Notices circulated to school headmasters and principals from the Board of Superintendents, 1907-1948. Several volumes also include Board of Apportionment Circulars for 1918-1921 and 1923-1944. The Board of Apportionment was responsible for overseeing financial matters of the School Department.

Dates

  • 1907-1948

Creator

Extent

2.0 Cubic feet (2 record cartons)

Historical note

The Board, originally known as the Board of Supervisors, was created under an act of the Legislature of 1875 and comprised the Superintendent of Schools and six associates. Initially, its duties for the greater part related to the supervision and direction of the work of teachers. It was also a board for the examination and certification of candidates eligible for service in the different grades of schools. Upon the reorganization of the School Committee in 1905, the Board of Supervisors became a Board of Superintendents. Many of the administrative details which previously had been performed by subcommittees of the School Committee were transferred by the regulations to the Board of Superintendents. The development of high schools, intermediate schools, vocational and continuation schools, and the various departments greatly increased the responsibilities of the board. The board served as the field officers of the Superintendent and as an advisory body for the School Committee.

Repository Details

Part of the Boston City Archives Repository

Contact:
201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1195
617-635-1194 (Fax)