The Board, originally known as the Board of Supervisors, was created under an act of the Legislature of 1875 and comprised the Superintendent of Schools and six associates. Initially, its duties for the greater part related to the supervision and direction of the work of teachers. It was also a board for the examination and certification of candidates eligible for service in the different grades of schools. Upon the reorganization of the School Committee in 1905, the Board of Supervisors became a Board of Superintendents. Many of the administrative details which previously had been performed by subcommittees of the School Committee were transferred by the regulations to the Board of Superintendents. The development of high schools, intermediate schools, vocational and continuation schools, and the various departments greatly increased the responsibilities of the board. The board served as the field officers of the Superintendent and as an advisory body for the School Committee.