Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

4400. Parks and Recreation Department

 Record Group
Identifier: 4400
Power to establish parks in the City of Boston was granted by the Commonwealth on May 6, 1875, subject to acceptance by the people. This act was accepted by a vote of the citizens on June 9, 1875. The first Board of Park Commissioners was appointed on July 8, 1875 and confirmed on July 15, 1875. Chapter 10 of the Ordinances of 1912 merged the Park Department with the Public Grounds, Bath and Music Departments, under the name of Park and Recreation Department. In 1920, the Cemetery Department was merged with the Park Department, the latter title being substituted for Park and Recreation Department. On May 1, 1954, the department was renamed the Parks and Recreation Department. The Boston Parks and Recreation Department provides residents and visitors with clean, green, safe, and accessible open space in more than 2,200 acres of park land throughout the city including parks, playgrounds, athletic facilities, city squares, urban wilds, street trees, three active cemeteries, 16 historic burying grounds, and two golf courses.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Parks Department annual reports and publications

 Series
Identifier: 4400.005
Scope and Contents Includes copies of annual reports for the years 1875-1877, 1881, 1885, 1887, 1889, 1892, 1894-1895, 1907, 1910, 1920, 1938-1954, 1956-1966, 1968-1970, 1972-1974, 1984 and 1989; "Notes on the Plan of Franklin Park and Related Matters", 1886; "Preliminary Report of the Board of Commissioners of the Department of Parks with Plans and Estimates for a Zoological Garden at Franklin Park and an Aquarium at Marine Park", 1910; "Special Report", 1925; "Future Parks, Playgrounds and Parkways", 1925; and...