Boston (Mass.). Children's Institutions Department
By Chapters 395 and 451 of the Acts of 1897, the control of the city's institutions was divided, and they were placed under the Children’s Institutions Department, the Pauper Institutions Department, the Insane Hospital Department and the Penal Institutions Department. The trustees of the Children’s Institutions Department had charge and control for the house of employment and reformation of juvenile offenders, known as the House of Reformation at Rainsford Island, the Parental School for Truants at West Roxbury and the Home for Pauper and Neglected Children on Marcella street, Roxbury. They also had charge and control of children placed in country homes and the general supervision of children placed in institutions throughout the State, for whose care the city paid. Chapter 7 of Ordinances of 1920 abolished the Penal Institutions, Infirmary, Children’s Institutions and Institutions Registration Departments and consolidated them into one department called the Institutions Department under the charge of one commissioner.
Found in 40 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents note The records in this collection consist entirely of the annual reports of the Children’s Institutions Department. These reports span the dates 1898 through 1920 with gaps for the years 1899-1900 and 1914-1915. The reports provide statistical data for each institution under the control of the Department as well as reports from the individual superintendants for each institution. Included are summaries of the Department’s operations for the previous fiscal year, comparison to the fiscal year...
Scope and Contents Includes copies of annual reports of the Board of Directors of Public Institutions, 1857-1886 and 1888; Commissioner of Public Institutions, 1890-1891, 1893-1894, 1897, and 1928; Institutions Registration Department, 1901, 1913-1915; and one bound volume of City Documents relating to the Lunatic Hospital, Inspectors of Prisons, Directors of Public Institutions and Rules and Regulations, 1863-1869. Annual reports can also be found in the City Documents series.
Scope and Contents note The records for the Marcella-street Home consist of only one volume. This volume is a register of those children sentenced by the court who entered the Marcella-street Home from its opening in April 1877 through its closing in November 1898. The Marcella-street Home housed only boys from the time of its opening until 1881 when girls were transferred there from the Almshouse at Deer Island. Entries for girls begin to appear in the register in October 1881. The register recorded a...
Series — Box: 1