On 8 March 1866, the Common Council passed an order for the appointment of a joint committee “to take into consideration the expediency of erecting a monument in the city, in some prominent place, commemorative of the fallen heroes who so heroically aided in putting down the Southern Rebellion, and in sustaining the Constitution of our country and the Union of the States.” The Board of Aldermen passed the order on 12 March 1866. On 16 April 1866, the Committee submitted a report that recommended the advertisement for plans and estimates for a monument. The Committee chose the design and estimate of $100,000 of Hammatt Billings, of Boston, and recommended “Flagstaff Hill,” the highest elevation on Boston Common as the site for the monument. The City Council accepted the design and the Committee advertised for proposals for the work and found that the work could not be done for less than $160,000. Work was suspended on the monument and nothing was done until 1870. In 1870, the Committee advertised for designs not to exceed $75,000. The Committee received 16 proposals and chose the design of Martin Milmore. The City Council passed the order for the construction of the monument on 30 December 1870. On 18 September 1871, the cornerstone of the monument was laid. In 1872, Martin Milmore went to Rome and spent the following five years modeling his designs. In January 1877, a Committee was appointed to have charge of the erection of the Army and Navy Monument. In April 1877, Martin Milmore returned to the United States and informed the Committee that he would deliver the monument to the City on 17 September 1877. The City dedicated the Army and Navy Monument on 17 September 1877.